|Sweeney's Gig Harbor house on today's North Harborview Drive|
(current site of Anthony's Restaurant parking lot)
Finding her business improving and wishing to expand, in 1922 Theresa built the Sweeney Building across the street to house her mercantile business, which grew into a well-stocked department store -- according to the publicity at the time. However, she did not occupy the entire building. Always the best business person, she rented part of the building to the new post office, a restaurant, to the first dentist (and first mayor) Dr. Harold Ryan, and a pharmacy.
(current site: empty lot beside Anthony's Restaurant)
Theresa had a keen interest in the development of the community and as well as buying and selling a good deal of property, she was actively engaged in community affairs. Unfortunately, the Sweeney Building was destroyed by fire in the late 1920s; replaced and then in the late 1940s the second building was demolished. Nothing replaced Sweeney's buildings. Even today, it is an empty lot.
in eastern Washington, where he was ordained as a Jesuit priest in June 1936.
Nov 2, 1967: Merle Crum objected to the Rock Shop “Building” [Sweeney] plans to remodel. He objected to the permit because all toilets drained directly onto the beach. County Health Dept. said to tear down the building. Erosion has caused damage to the docks. Permit was given, but no action.
There was only one fire at the head of the bay and that was January 4, 1945 when the gasoline station burned down and burned George Keeney's Cabinet shop, as far as the cement block building today holding the Harbor Homes, etc. The high school boys were let go from Union HS to help save Dr. Darling's offices in one of the buildings now known as Marketplace Grill. The fireboat from Tacoma wouldn't come. The Sweeney Block was to the left of that, where the sign is.
She died in 1942 from the effects of a broken hip after several months in the hospital, but yes, it was unexpected as she was such a strong woman, and definitely a great lady.
© 2012 Harbor History Museum. All rights reserved.